Thai Green Curry Coconut Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
Thai green curry paste and fish sauce are available in the Asian section of most large supermarkets and at health food stores.
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste, or more to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Four 1-inch strips of lemon zest (see Alternatives)
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger—peeled, thinly sliced and lightly smashed
- Four 1-inch strips of lime zest (see Alternatives)
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- In a medium saucepan, whisk 1/4 cup of the coconut milk with the curry paste. Stir in the remaining coconut milk, the stock, lemon zest, ginger, lime zest, 2 tablespoons of the fish sauce and the brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Cook the sauce over moderately high heat until reduced by one-quarter, about 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the lemon zest, ginger and lime zest and discard. Stir in the lime juice, cilantro, basil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of fish sauce; transfer to a bowl.