Thai Green Curry Chicken
- SERVINGS: 4 TO 6
Cameron Diaz felt strongly that the menu at her Miami restaurant, Bamb#250;, should reflect the best of Asian food, not fusion food. So chef Norman Van Aken prepares authentic dishes like luscious Thai chicken curry. His green curry paste calls fro 15 ingredients; but good-quality curry paste is available in the ethnic section of most supermarkets.
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass
- One 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (from 3 cans)
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, or 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil, preferably Thai
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving
- Peel the tough outer leaves from the lemongrass and discard the top two-thirds. Mince the tender white bulb.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the chicken, in batches if necessary, and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until golden all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- Add the coconut milk to the casserole and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook over moderately high heat until reduced to 3 cups, about 15 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the casserole along with any accumulated juices. Add the lemongrass, lime leaves, stock and fish sauce, cover partially and simmer over low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Add the poblano, basil and cilantro to the chicken, cover partially and cook over low heat for 10 minutes longer. Serve right away with jasmine rice.
The aromatic ingredients here point to an off-dry white, like a German Riesling Kabinett.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.