- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges and steamed rice, for serving
- In a large, deep soup pot, heat the oil. Add the ginger, garlic and shallot, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until the aromatics are softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the mussels and cook for 1 minute, stirring and tossing. Add the coconut milk, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the mussels have opened. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to 4 deep bowls; discard any that do not open. Whisk the curry paste and cilantro into the broth. Pour the broth over the mussels, stopping before you reach the grit at the bottom of the pot. Serve the mussels with lime wedges and rice.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.