Thai Curried Clams
- SERVINGS: 4
Curry paste punches up the rich coconut broth here. Fish sauce and a variety of curry pastes are available at Asian groceries and many supermarkets.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fish stock or 1/4 cup bottled clam juice diluted with 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon green, red or yellow curry paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 pounds small clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- Lime wedges
- In a large deep skillet, cook the garlic in the oil over moderately high heat just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the coconut milk, fish stock, fish sauce, curry paste and sugar, then cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the clams to the skillet. Cover and cook over moderately high heat just until the clams open, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the peas and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the basil. Serve the clams in bowls with lime wedges.
Serve WithSteamed rice.
A sweet but crisp Riesling.