- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 fresh green chile, deseeded and finely chopped
How to make this recipe
- Cut the ends off the cucumber, then slice the cucumber lengthwise into quarters. Using a sharp knife or mandoline, cut the quarters crosswise into very thin slices.
- In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the water, sugar and vinegar to a boil, simmering until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, add the reserved sliced cucumber, ginger, salt and chile. Pour the cooled syrup over the other ingredients and stir to combine. Serve immediately or within a few hours of making.
The salad can be prepared a few hours before serving. Leave it out at room temperature and be sure all the cucumber slices are covered with syrup otherwise they might dry out.