- 2 pounds chicken legs, split
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1-inch nob of ginger, julienned
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 hot chile, thinly sliced
- Fresh lime juice
How to make this recipe
Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot. Brown the chicken, turning once, until golden, then transfer to a plate. Stir in the shallots, garlic, and ginger with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the chicken back to the pot along with any accumulated juices. Stir in the coconut milk and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the chicken and broth, sprinkled with the cilantro leaves and chile slices and drizzled with the lime juice.