Thai Chile Relish
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 2 cups
This fresh green chile relish isn't supremely spicy, but it has fantastic depth of flavor, making it a perfect complement to plain grilled chicken, fish and meats. If you do want more heat, simply pound in a few grilled serrano chiles.
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 6 Anaheim chiles
- 4 medium shallots, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Light a grill and thread the garlic on a skewer. Grill the garlic, chiles and shallots over moderately high heat, turning often, until charred and tender, 8 to 10 minutes for the garlic and chiles and 20 minutes for the shallots.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and let cool. Peel the garlic and shallots and transfer to a mortar or a food processor. Peel, seed and core the chiles (or leave in some seeds for extra heat). Add the chiles to the mortar or processor and pound or pulse to a coarse puree. Stir or pulse in the cilantro, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice and serve.