- 3 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into 4-inch lengths
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 Thai bird chiles
- Four 1-inch-thick strips of lime zest
- 1 large head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps sliced 1/2 inch thick
- One 13 1/2-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 5 limes)
- 1/2 cup Asian fish sauce
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock with the lemongrass, ginger, chiles and lime zest and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat for 10 minutes. Strain and return to the saucepan. Discard the solids.
- Add the cauliflower, shiitake and coconut milk to the stock and bring to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat until the cauliflower is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and edamame and simmer just until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and fish sauce and season with salt. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.