Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup
- SERVINGS: 4
To make the soup more substantial, add about 2 cups of steamed jasmine rice or cooked rice noodles before serving. Coconut milk, Asian curry paste and fish sauce are available at most supermarkets.
- One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons green curry paste
- Four 2-inch strips of lime zest
- 2 quarter-size pieces of fresh ginger, lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 6 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the coconut milk, curry paste, lime zest, ginger and sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer over moderately low heat for 8 minutes. Raise the heat to moderate and bring the soup to a boil. Add the chicken, fish sauce, 3 tablespoons of the cilantro and the basil. Stir and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Discard the ginger and lime zest. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro and stir in the lime juice. Serve hot.
Carl Graff Urziger Schwarzlay Riesling Spätlese or Henry Estate Mül;ller-Thurgau from Oregon.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.