- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 8 radishes, trimmed and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Thai basil leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the oil. Add the shallots, carrots and radishes and stir-fry over high heat until the shallots are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Add the rice and stir-fry until heated through and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice and half of the basil and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the fried rice to bowls, garnish with the remaining basil and serve.
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of jasmine rice with 3 cups of water and a large pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Cover the rice and simmer over low heat until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 18 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Use the rice right away or refrigerate.