- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic paste (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- One 1/2-pound piece of skinless smoked salmon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus 4 dozen cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 dozen sturdy corn tortilla chips
- In a medium bowl, using the back of a fork, mash the anchovies with the roasted garlic paste, cumin and extra-virgin olive oil. Stir in the sour cream and lime juice. Fold in the smoked salmon, jalapeño, red onion, capers and chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the tortilla chips on a platter. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the smoked salmon tartare onto each chip, top with a cilantro leaf and serve.
The smoked salmon tartare can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
To make your own garlic paste, roast 3 unpeeled garlic cloves with 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a foil packet in a preheated 350? oven for about 45 minutes. Let the garlic cool slightly, then mash it.