- 4 whole chicken legs, skinned
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons annato seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 serrano chiles, sliced into rounds
Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook the annato seeds in the olive oil over moderate heat until the oil is a deep brick red, about 5 minutes.
Strain the annato oil into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add the carrot juice, vinegar, bay leaves, thyme, garlic and chiles. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375°. Preheat a grill pan. Grill the chicken in the grill pan over moderate heat for 4 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear.