© Reed Davis
- SERVINGS: 6
Grill the steak about 20 minutes after the Sweet Potato Packets go into the oven.
Plus: More Beef Recipes and Tips
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 scallions, minced
- Four 1/4-inch-thick slices of fresh ginger, smashed
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak in 1 piece, cut about 1 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sweet Potato Packets
- In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, scallions, ginger, garlic and 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil. Bring to a boil over moderate heat and cook until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, 8 to 10 minutes. Strain the sauce into a small bowl.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Brush the steak with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill or broil the steak, basting with some of the sauce, for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice the steak on the diagonal and serve with the Sweet Potato Packets. Pass the remaining sauce separately.
The acerbic qualities of a classic Bordeaux mirror the salty soy sauce.