Tequila-Spiked Caramel Corn
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 16 cups
More suited to a cocktail party than a baseball game, this riff on Cracker Jack by Atlanta pastry chef Taria Camerino is sweetened with agave nectar and spiked with tequila. Slow-baking turns the popcorn-nut mix fabulously crunchy.
Cocktail Party Recipes
More Tasty Snacks
- 16 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tequila
- Preheat the oven to 250° and position racks in the upper and middle thirds. Toss the popcorn with the roasted peanuts in a large heatproof bowl.
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the butter, agave nectar, corn syrup and salt and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Boil over moderate heat for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a long spoon, stir in the baking soda and tequila; the syrup will foam. Immediately pour the hot syrup over the popcorn and peanuts and, using 2 spoons, toss to coat thoroughly.
- Spread the popcorn on 2 nonstick baking sheets and bake for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and switching the sheets halfway through, until golden and nearly dry. Turn off the oven, open the oven door completely and let the popcorn cool completely before serving.