© Con Poulos
Tequila-Spiked Caramel Corn
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes 16 cups
- 16 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tequila
- Preheat the oven to 250° and position racks in the upper and middle thirds. Toss the popcorn with the roasted peanuts in a large heatproof bowl.
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the butter, agave nectar, corn syrup and salt and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Boil over moderate heat for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a long spoon, stir in the baking soda and tequila; the syrup will foam. Immediately pour the hot syrup over the popcorn and peanuts and, using 2 spoons, toss to coat thoroughly.
- Spread the popcorn on 2 nonstick baking sheets and bake for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and switching the sheets halfway through, until golden and nearly dry. Turn off the oven, open the oven door completely and let the popcorn cool completely before serving.
Make AheadThe caramel corn can be kept in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
NotesAgave nectar (also called agave syrup) is a liquid sweetener made from the agave plant. Look for it in health-food stores.