- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- In a large bowl, combine the tequila, brown sugar, olive oil, garlic, oregano and salt. Add the chicken, toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, water, malt vinegar, honey, tequila, lime juice, dry mustard, coriander, cumin and chile powder. Cook over low heat, whisking, until thickened, 5 minutes; do not boil. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Stir in the lime zest and season with salt. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
- Soak 24 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Light a grill. Transfer 1/2 cup of the mustard to a small bowl. Thread the chicken onto the top third of the skewers; grill over moderate heat, turning, until browned and almost cooked, 8 minutes. Brush the chicken with the reserved 1/2 cup of mustard and grill until glazed and cooked through. Serve the skewers with the remaining mustard.
Beer Floral IPA: Ithaca Flower Power.
Wine Ripe, full-bodied California Roussanne.