- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 Serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops, quartered.
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint, plus 12 mint leaves for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 small outer leaves of Bibb lettuce
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, mashed with 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 12 large tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup grated cotija cheese or crumbled feta
- Lime wedges, for serving
Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the tomatoes, onion and chiles and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, 8 minutes. Add the scallops, wine and tequila. Cook until the scallops are opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Off the heat, add the Jack cheese and chopped mint and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange 3 lettuce leaves on each plate and fill with the avocado. Spoon the scallops on top. Garnish with the tortilla chips, cotija cheese and mint leaves. Serve with lime wedges.