- 1 Hass avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup drained canned black beans
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp— shelled, deveined and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons silver tequila
- 1/2 canned chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- 24 large round tortilla chips
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, mash the avocado, pineapple, beans, scallions and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet until very hot. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add to the skillet along with the garlic and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until the shrimp are almost cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the tequila. Tilt the pan slightly over the burner to ignite the tequila and cook until the flames subside. (Alternatively, remove the pan from the heat and ignite with a match, then return to the heat.) Stir in the chipotle, butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice, swirling until the butter is melted and the liquid is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the avocado mixture onto the tortilla chips and top with the shrimp. Drizzle some of the tequila sauce on top and serve right away.
The avocado mixture can be refrigerated for up to 1 hour.