- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled club soda
- 1/2 pound green beans
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil until shimmering. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, baking powder, salt and the 1 teaspoon of Old Bay. Gently whisk in the club soda until the batter just comes together; do not overmix.
Working in batches, dip the green beans in the batter, let the excess drip off and add them to the hot oil. Fry until light golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel–lined baking sheet to drain. Sprinkle with Old Bay and serve with lemon wedges.