- 2 1/2 cups fresh temple orange juice, strained (from 4 large oranges)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (1 1/2 envelopes)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg white
How to make this recipe
- In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice with 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon of the sugar; stir to dissolve the sugar. Sprinkle the gelatin over the juice in an even layer. Let stand until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Set the pan over moderate heat, swirling once or twice, until the juice is very warm and the gelatin has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Slowly pour the juice into glasses or glass bowls. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, in a small saucepan, combine the orange zest with the water and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Simmer over moderately high heat until syrupy, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small stainless steel bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat the egg white at medium-high speed until it holds a soft peak. Beat in the hot syrup at high speed and continue to beat until firm and glossy, about 30 seconds. Dollop the meringue over the gelées and serve.
The gelées can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
One Serving 166 cal, 0.3 gm fat, 0 gm saturated fat, 37 gm carb, 0 gm fiber.