- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- One 8-ounce package of tempeh
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 large 1/2 -inch-thick slices of peasant bread, halved crosswise
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
- Half a small bunch of arugula, stems trimmed
- On a work surface, using the flat side of a large knife, crush the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt until almost pureed. In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, mayonnaise and parsley.
- Using a thin sharp knife, cut the block of tempeh crosswise on an angle into 12 slices about 1/4 inch thick. Brush the slices on both sides with the vinegar and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the onion in 1 teaspoon of the oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally and separating the onion into rings, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onion to a plate.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the oil to the skillet and swirl the pan to coat. Add half the tempeh in a single layer and cook over moderate heat, pressing lightly with a spatula and turning once, until lightly browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the tempeh to a plate and repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and tempeh.
- Toast the bread and spread each piece with the prepared mayonnaise. Place the tempeh on 4 pieces of toast and top with the onion rings, tomatoes and arugula. Sandwich together with the other pieces of toast and serve at once.
One Serving Calories 417 kcal, Protein 17 gm, Soy Protein 11 gm, Carbohydrate 42 gm, Cholesterol 8 mg, Total Fat 21.5 gm, Saturated Fat 3.2 gm.