- 30 quail eggs
- 8 Lapsang souchong tea bags
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 star anise pods
- Kosher salt
- Soy salt (see Note)
- Urfa pepper flakes (see Note)
- Curry powder
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with 3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a work surface. Tap the eggs all over with the back of the spoon to crack the shells. Add the tea bags, peppercorns, star anise and 1 teaspoon of salt to the water in the saucepan, stirring to dissolve the salt. Add the eggs and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and peel the eggs. Put the soy salt in a small bowl. Season the urfa pepper and curry powder with salt and transfer to small bowls. Serve the marbled eggs with the dipping salts.