- 3 pounds medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup tarragon leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium white onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise and separated into rings
- One 5 1/2-ounce log fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup pitted Calamata olives, coarsely chopped
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425°. Place a large roasting pan in the oven and heat until very hot. In a large bowl, toss the zucchini with the tarragon, garlic, sugar and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
Pour the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil into the roasting pan, add the onion rings and roast for 5 minutes, until they are softened. Add the zucchini mixture in an even layer and roast, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until the zucchini is tender and lightly browned in spots. Let cool for 20 minutes.
Add half each of the goat cheese and olives to the zucchini and toss gently. Transfer to a platter, garnish with the remaining goat cheese and olives and serve.
The recipe can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead and served at room temperature.
Aromatic white grape varieties like Roussanne and Viognier are a great match for dishes with fragrant herbal notes, like this zucchini salad.