Tarragon Chicken with Spring Greens
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
This aromatic chicken cooked with arugula, watercress and romaine lettuce makes a great one-skillet meal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 chicken thighs (6 ounces each)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 5 ounces baby arugula, cut into ribbons
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, cut into ribbons
- 1 bunch of watercress— thick stems discarded, the rest coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces crème fraîche
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in the oil over high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook skin side up until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter; pour off most of the fat in the skillet.
- Add the arugula, romaine, watercress, leek, tarragon and caraway seeds to the skillet and cook, tossing, until slightly wilted, 2 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and crème fraîche.
- Nestle the chicken thighs into the greens, skin side up. Transfer the skillet to the middle of the oven and roast for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Turn on the broiler and broil the chicken for 5 minutes, until the skin is golden. Serve the chicken and greens with rice.
Lively Spanish Verdejo.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.