- 6 ounces firm white bread, crusts removed and 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces jarred tarama (carp roe)
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup water, or as needed
- Toasted pita chips or bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
Put the bread in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/4 cup water. Let sit for 5 minutes, then squeeze out the excess water and put the bread in the bowl of a food processor, with the <em>tarama</em>, onion and lemon juice.
Pulse the <em>tarama</em> mixture until it begins to become smooth. With motor running, add the olive oil in a slow stream and process until the mixture is very smooth. The <em>taramosalata</em> should be the consistency of a velvety hummus. Add enough water to loosen the mixture, if needed.
To serve, spoon the <em>taramosalata</em> in a wide shallow bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with toasted pita chips.
The taramosalata can be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container.
Tarama can be found in Greek food markets and some fish and specialty markets.