Tapioca and Rhubarb Parfait
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 pound medium rhubarb stalks without leaves, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 8 thin slices crystallized ginger, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, mix the rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and ground ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the rhubarb is tender but not falling apart, about 8 minutes. Transfer the rhubarb to a small bowl and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until thick, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- In a saucepan, whisk the tapioca, milk, eggs, sugar and salt. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until the tapioca begins to swell.
- Bring the tapioca to a boil over moderately high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Set the saucepan in a bowl of ice water and stir often until cool and thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the rhubarb compote into 4 parfait glasses and top with half of the tapioca. Repeat with the remaining compote and tapioca. Garnish each parfait with 2 slices of crystallized ginger and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.