Tangy Twice-Cooked Eggplants with Red Peppers
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 pounds large Italian eggplants, peeled and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds
- Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the paper towels and sprinkle them with salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Pat the eggplant dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/3 cup of the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add half of the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and tender, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggplant to fresh paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining 1/3 cup of vegetable oil and eggplant.
- Add the peppers, onion and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the paprika and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Return the eggplant to the skillet, stir gently to coat and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the sherry vinegar and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice and season with salt. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until lightly chilled, about 20 minutes, before serving.