Tangy Tomato and Mango Salad
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 10
In Jean-Georges Vongerichten's version of a dish that his friend Maya Gurley serves at her St. Bart's restaurant, he dresses plump tomatoes and sweet, juicy mango slices with red wine vinegar, just a little olive oil and plenty of sliced fresh basil.
- 10 medium tomatoes (3 pounds), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 large, ripe mangoespeeled, pitted and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 cups thinly sliced basil leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar with the olive oil; season with salt. Add the shallots and 1 cup of the basil and toss well. Arrange the tomatoes on a platter and top with the mango slices. Drizzle with the dressing, garnish with the remaining 1 cup of basil and serve.