- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and cored
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and halved
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, cover the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapeño with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the tomatillos lose their bright green color, 8 minutes. Drain, transfer to a blender and let cool.
- In a small, dry skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, shaking the pan, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool slightly.
- Grind the cumin to a powder and add it to the blender along with the cilantro and sugar; puree until smooth. Season the salsa with salt and serve chilled.
The tomatillo-cumin salsa can be refrigerated overnight.
One Serving 19 cal, 0.5 gm fat, 0.1 gm sat fat, 4 gm carb, 0.9 gm fiber.