- 12 chicken thighs (about 7 ounces each)
- Kosher salt
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 small habanero, stemmed
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Coke
- 1/4 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for brushing
How to make this recipe
- Arrange the chicken on a large baking sheet and season generously with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the onion, scallions, habanero, garlic and ginger until chunky. Add the allspice, thyme, sugar, cayenne, black pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon and puree until very smooth. Transfer the puree to a large bowl and whisk in the vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, Coke and liquid smoke, then whisk in the 1/4 cup of oil. Add the chicken and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill and brush the grates with oil. Transfer the chicken to a large plate. Transfer the marinade to a medium saucepan and boil until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Brush the chicken with oil and grill over moderate heat for 25 minutes, until lightly charred and cooked through. Brush the chicken with some of the marinade and grill for 1 minute. Serve the chicken with the remaining reduced marinade.
Juicy, fruit-forward rosé.
Photo © Claire Thomas Published August 2012