- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 4 lemons)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 6 ounces dried tart cherries (1 cup)
- 1 cup crème fraîche, for serving
- Buttery Vanilla Shortbread
How to make this recipe
- Fill a bowl with ice water and set another bowl in it. Set a strainer in the bowl. In a large metal bowl, whisk the lemon zest and juice with 1 cup of the sugar, the eggs and the egg yolks. Set the metal bowl over a pot of simmering water and cook the curd, whisking, until thick, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cubed butter until melted. Strain the lemon curd into the bowl in the ice water bath and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with the water, vanilla bean and seeds and dried cherries and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat until the cherries are plump and the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely, then discard the vanilla bean.
- Spoon the lemon curd into 6 glasses and top each with a dollop of crème fraîche. Spoon the cherries and sauce all around and serve with the Buttery Vanilla Shortbread.
The lemon curd and cherries can be refrigerated separately overnight.