Tangy Cauliflower Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way The Clarks grind fresh coriander seeds for this vibrant soup, which they then sprinkle with Turkish chile flakes before serving.
Easy Way Buy ground coriander and good crushed red pepper for this recipe.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- One 1 3/4-pound head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- Crushed red pepper, for sprinkling
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and coriander and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderate heat until the cauliflower is softened, about 15 minutes. Puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Alternatively, puree the soup in a blender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg with the cornstarch. Whisk in the yogurt. Whisk the mixture into the soup and bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking constantly until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook over moderate heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the butter is fragrant and the milk solids begin to turn brown, about 5 minutes. Ladle the cauliflower soup into shallow bowls and drizzle the brown butter on top. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and serve immediately.