Tangy Cabbage Slaw with Golden Raisins
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Laurent Tourondel's coleslaw is nothing like the white drippy slaw that's standard at summer barbecues. Instead of mayonnaise, he mixes a tangy dressing of vinegar, mustard, and walnut and grapeseed oils then studs the cabbage slaw with plump golden raisins to add a little sweetness.
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 medium head of green cabbage, shredded (8 cups)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- In a small bowl, soak the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain, pressing out any liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar with the whole-grain mustard and sugar. Whisk in the grapeseed and walnut oils and season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the shredded cabbage, carrot, onion, chives and raisins and toss the salad well. Season with salt and pepper and toss the salad again. Refrigerate until chilled, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and serve.