- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 4 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 2/3 cups stone-ground chickpea flour, sifted
- Ground cumin or harissa, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a blender or large food processor, blend the egg with 1/4 cup of oil until foamy. Add the salt and half of the water and pulse for 3 seconds. Add half of the chickpea flour and process until smooth. Add the remaining flour and water and process until smooth. Pass the batter through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, stirring and scraping until all of the batter is through. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 days.
- At least 1 1/2 hours before baking, set a pizza stone in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 500°. Lightly brush a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or deep-dish pizza pan with olive oil.
- Whisk the batter until blended and pour it into the skillet. Bake the bread for 30 minutes. Brush the top of the bread with olive oil and cover two-thirds of it with a baking sheet. Turn the oven off and bake the bread in the residual heat for about 20 minutes longer, until deep golden brown and nicely glazed.
- Using a spatula, loosen the edges and bottom of the bread, and slide it onto a work surface. Cut into small rectangles, sprinkle with cumin or harissa and serve hot or at room temperature.
The bread batter can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.