- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 chicken drumsticks (about 4 1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 450°. Set a rack on each of 2 large baking sheets. In a small skillet, toast the paprika, garam masala, cumin, coriander and turmeric over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spices to a medium bowl and cool slightly. Stir in the ginger, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
Make 2 or 3 slashes in each drumstick. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the spiced yogurt and rub it onto the chicken. Arrange the chicken on the racks, leaving 2 inches between the pieces. Roast for 45 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Light the broiler and broil the chicken 6 inches from the heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly charred and crisp.
In a small bowl, stir the cilantro, shallot, vinegar and the remaining 1/4 cup of oil; season with salt. Serve with the chicken.
Bright, fruit-forward Santa Barbara Pinot Noir.