© Quentin Bacon
Take 5 Carrot Cupcakes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes 14 cupcakes
Chef Bryan Vietmeier makes these terrifically moist and carroty cupcakes for Seattle's Take 5 Urban Market. He suggests freezing the cupcakes before frosting to firm them up, preventing crumbs.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (from about 6 medium carrots)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 14 muffin cups with paper liners. Spray the liners with vegetable-oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the canola oil. Gradually beat in the sugar at medium-high speed and beat until thick, about 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. Fold in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula, then fold in the carrots.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then transfer the cupcakes to the freezer to chill.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip with the Cream Cheese Frosting. Pipe the frosting onto the carrot cupcakes and serve. Alternatively, use a knife to spread the frosting on the cupcakes and serve.
Make AheadThe frosted cupcakes can be refrigerated for up to 3 days