red rice and lentils
- 1/2 cup green lentils, preferably soaked in water overnight and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup red rice, rinsed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 firm apple
- Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate (see Note)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soft tortillas, for serving
How to make this recipe
Make the rice and lentils
Cover lentils with plenty of filtered water in a medium pot, add salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until completely soft. Drain and set aside.
Warm up coconut oil in the same pot and sauté spices for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for another 7 to 8 minutes until translucent.
Add rice, salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups filtered water, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, covered, until most of the water is absorbed.
Add lentils and simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper, squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over the mixture and set aside.
Make the dressing
Drain and rinse cashews. Combine with the rest of ingredients in a powerful blender until smooth.
Make the slaw
Rinse the brussels sprouts, trim the ends and remove any dark or damaged outer leaves. Cut each in half and shred in a food processor with a shredder attachment. Alternatively, thinly slice by hand.
Core and dice the apple and add to shredded brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl, along with the pomegranate seeds. Add the tarragon-orange dressing and toss to coat.
Spoon about 2 tablespoons of rice/lentil stuffing onto a soft tortilla, top with the slaw, garnish with more pomegranate seeds and/or chopped tarragon, fold and enjoy!