Tabbouleh-Style Three-Grain Salad
- SERVINGS: 20
This salad was inspired by With the Grain (Knopf), a cookbook written by David Page's neighbor, Raymond Sokolov.
- 1 cup (6 ounces) Wehani rice, rinsed
- 1 cup (7 ounces) pearl barley
- 1 cup (6 ounces) coarse grade cracked wheat (bulgur)
- 4 tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 European cucumberspeeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover the Wehani rice with 4 cups of cold water, add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the grains are just tender, about 45 minutes. Drain the rice and rinse it under cold water; drain well. Spread the rice out on a baking sheet and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover the barley with 4 cups of water, add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 40 minutes. Drain well. Spread the barley on a baking sheet and let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add a large pinch of salt and the cracked wheat, stir well and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and set aside for 15 minutes. Drain off any excess water and transfer to a platter to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, toss the grains with the tomatoes, cucumbers and parsley. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the salad at room temperature or chilled.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.