- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 pound red or brown lentils
- 5 cups hot vegetable broth, chicken broth or water
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard (about 1 pound), stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook over moderate heat until tender and slightly golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute. Add the lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the chard and simmer until tender. Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.