© Luis Bruno
Swordfish with Sweet Onions and Red Plums
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, very thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 firm red plums, halved and pitted
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish (1 1/2 inches thick)
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over high heat. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, vinegar and honey and cook until the onions soften, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat until the onions are very tender, about 10 minutes. Add the plums to the skillet, cover and cook until the plums are tender, about 8 minutes. Discard the rosemary sprigs.
- Meanwhile, brush the swordfish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the fish until it is just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Spoon the onions and plums onto a platter, top with the swordfish and serve.