- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 28 fresh bay leaves (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline
- 2 lemons, halved crosswise
- In a blender or mini food processor, pulse the parsley, garlic, crushed red pepper and olive oil to a thick puree. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Onto each of 4 long skewers, alternately thread a bay leaf, a piece of fish, a bay leaf and a slice of zucchini, repeating until each skewer has 3 pieces of fish, 3 slices of zucchini and 7 bay leaves. Season the skewers with salt and pepper and brush all over with the parsley sauce. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the skewers over moderate heat, turning, until the fish is lightly browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Meanwhile, grill the lemon halves, cut side down, until charred, about 2 minutes. Serve the skewers with the grilled lemons. Discard the bay leaves.
Herby, citrusy Vermentino from Italy's Ligurian coast was practically made for this dish.