- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Way The farm behind La Provence raises heritage Mangalitsa pigs; John Besh uses the well-marbled ham for his swordfish.
Easy Way For home cooks, wrapping prosciutto or serrano ham around swordfish keeps the seafood moist and flavorful.
- Six 6- to 7-ounce skinless swordfish steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 thin slices of serrano ham or prosciutto
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Sautéed kale, creamy polenta and lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the swordfish steaks with salt and black pepper and wrap a slice of ham around each steak. Lightly dust the swordfish all over with flour.
- In a pie plate, combine the 1/2 cup of flour with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. In another pie plate, whisk the beaten egg with the milk. Dip the swordfish steaks in the egg mixture, allowing the excess to drip off, then press the steaks into the flour mixture so that it adheres.
- In a large ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the swordfish steaks and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Flip the steaks over. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the swordfish for about 5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt the butter. Add the sliced almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the almonds are toasted and the butter is lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and add the lemon juice, capers and parsley. Transfer the swordfish steaks to plates and spoon the sauce on top. Serve with sautéed kale, creamy polenta and lemon wedges.
Fresh, lime-inflected Riesling: 2009 Frankland Estate Isolation Ridge.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.