Swordfish Kebabs with Summer Herb Pesto
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 pound skinless swordfish steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- One 2-inch piece of ginger, halved and smashed
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, bottom 6 inches of the tender inner bulb only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 cipollina onions, peeled
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- Summer Herb Pesto
- Aged balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 orange, for garnish
- In a bowl, toss the swordfish with the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onions and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the fennel and cook until lightly browned and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes longer.
- Remove the swordfish from the marinade, scraping off the solids. Thread the swordfish, onions, fennel, zucchini and tomatoes onto eight 10-inch skewers and season the kebabs with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the kebabs over high heat, turning, until lightly charred and the fish is nearly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Spread the Summer Herb Pesto on a large platter and arrange the kebabs on top. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar, garnish with the orange zest and serve.
Make AheadThe skewers can be assembled and refrigerated for up to 2 hours.