- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
How to make this recipe
- In a blender, combine 1 of the quartered onions with the coconut milk, garlic, green pepper, parsley, olive oil, salt and black pepper; puree until smooth. The mixture should be highly seasoned. Scrape the marinade into a large bowl. Add the swordfish cubes and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Light a grill. Thread the swordfish cubes onto 4 long, thick metal or bamboo skewers, alternating the fish with pieces of the remaining onion and the red pepper. Reserve the marinade.
- Grill the swordfish kebabs over a hot fire for about 12 minutes, turning them often and basting them frequently with the reserved marinade; the kebabs are done when they are lightly browned all over and the fish and vegetables are just cooked through. Serve at once.
An English-style India pale ale, such as Samuel Smith's India Ale from England, is ideal; the bitterness contrasts with the coconut, while the maltiness complements the meat texture of the marinated fish.