- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 pounds Swiss chard—rinsed, stems cut into 1/2-inch pieces, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the cumin and cook over moderately high heat until slightly darkened, 10 seconds. Add the jalapeños and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in the chard leaves and stems with the water that clings to the leaves and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring, until the chard is tender, 12 minutes. Uncover and cook over high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, season the chard with salt and serve.