Swiss Chard and Two Cheese Bread Pudding
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Suzanne Goin's rich bread pudding, served at her new wine bar A.O.C., is wonderful with roast poultry or meat.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- One 2-inch rosemary sprig
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound Swiss chard, stems and ribs discarded, leaves chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mild goat cheese, softened
- 3 cups roughly torn (1-inch pieces) peasant bread, with crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter an 8-inch-square baking dish. In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, fennel, garlic, thyme, rosemary and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until softened, 6 minutes. Add the chard, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing, until wilted, 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and discard the rosemary.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, cream, Parmesan and goat cheese and add to the vegetables; season with salt and pepper. Add the bread and stir until moistened. Transfer to the baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, or until set and the top is golden. Let cool for 15 minutes and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.