Sweet Sticky Rice Treat
- SERVINGS: 4-6
This ubiquitous Thai street snack is sweetened and enriched with coconut milk and palm sugar.
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 1 cup Black Thai Sticky Rice
- 1 cup Thai Sticky Rice
- 1 1/ 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk (see Note)
- 1/4 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sliced mango and star fruit
- In a large bowl, soak the rices together in plenty of water to cover for 6 to 24 hours. Drain.
- Put the rice in a cheesecloth-lined steamer or a large sieve. Set the steamer in a saucepan of water, cover and bring to a vigorous boil; the water must not touch the rice. Steam for 30 minutes, stirring gently halfway through. When done, the rice will be shiny, tender and a little chewy.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, warm the coconut milk over low heat. Stir in the palm sugar and salt until dissolved. Keep warm over very low heat.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl and gently fold in the warm coconut milk. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours. Serve in small bowls, topped with the sliced fruit.
NotesShake the can of coconut milk before pouringthe cream and milk tend to separate.