- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon anisette or Pernod
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, stir together the wine, water and anisette. In another small bowl, combine the ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chicken breasts and cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn the chicken and scatter the garlic in the skillet.
Sprinkle the spices over the chicken. Pour the wine mixture into the skillet, cover and simmer over moderate heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the chicken to plates, spoon the sauce on top, and serve right away.