- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup coarse semolina (6 ounces); see Note
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- Crème fraîche or orange sorbet, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a small saucepan, bring the whole milk to a boil with the sugar. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the semolina and almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk mixture, apricots, almond extract and salt. Cover and let stand until the liquid is completely absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with crème fraîche or sorbet.
Coarse-ground semolina is available at Middle Eastern groceries and from Kalustyan's (800-352-3451 or kalustyans.com).