- 10 sweet Italian sausages (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 3/4-inch wedges, layers separated
- California Harissa
- Mint Yogurt Sauce
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the sausages over moderate heat just until firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Slice each sausage diagonally into 4 equal pieces.
- Divide the sausages and peppers and thread them onto 10 long bamboo skewers with 1 or 2 onion pieces each, alternating the ingredients and beginning and ending with the sausage. Arrange the skewers on a large platter and brush with 1/4 cup of the harissa.
- Grill the skewers over a medium-hot fire or broil for about 8 minutes, until the sausage is cooked through and the peppers and onion are tender and slightly charred. Serve with bowls of the remaining harissa and the Mint Yogurt Sauce.
The uncooked skewers can be refrigerated overnight.